On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 07:26:11PM -0500, Chris McDonough wrote:
> z2.py -Z0 STUPID_LOG_FILE=
> ... which prevents Zope from detaching from the terminal but doesn't
> imply debug mode.  This may only work on recent checkouts, the semantics
> of -Z have changed recently.

Interesting!  In 2.6.0 the -Z flag is documented thus:

  -Z 0 or 1

    UNIX only! This option is ignored on Windows.

    This option controls whether a management process will be created
    that restarts Zope after a shutdown or crash.
    If the argument to -Z is non-null (e.g. "-Z1" or "-Zyes"), a
    management process will be used.  If the argument to -Z is "-", or
    "0", (e.g. "-Z-" or "-Z0"), a management process will not be used.
    On UNIX, the default behavior is to create a separate management
    process (e.g. -Z1) if the -Z option is not specified.

    (Note: the -Z option in Zopes before Zope 2.6 used to be used to specify
    a pidfile name for the management process.  This pidfile no longer

> > Speaking of the (side-)effects of debug mode, what exactly are they?
> > Is it just the automatic re-loading of DTMLFiles and PageTemplates
> > from disk?
> It's that... and, unfortunately, god knows what else.  To find out for sure,
> we'd need to audit the codebase (looking mostly for Z_DEBUG_MODE and __debug__).

at least in < 2.6 it also toggled whether tracebacks were
displayed openly (debug mode) or embedded in an html comment.
> I'd like to address these problems for Zope 2.7, but I doubt it's going
> to be possible in the short term.

What he said. :(

Paul Winkler
Look! Up in the sky! It's THE TONGUE!