If I remember correctly, though, there was still a lot in question about
legitimate use cases.  The web-services cluster-safety use-case I sketched
out here (http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2002-October/003112.html)
is still (perhaps) a valid case, but ONLY in a very-carefully constructed
application (and even that case leaves me wanting a better app-level way to
do it).

I think I agree with the feeling that versions should stay in ZODB, but be
depreciated/marked as "official evil" in ZMI.

As you and Guido are talking about the ZMI (which means, AFAIK, the managament interface), let me just say that as far as I understand it, deprecating/marking-as-evil and even removing OFSP/Version.py is not what I would like to see happen (not only).

The problem lies in ZODB.ZApplication.ZApplicationWrapper

 def __bobo_traverse__(self, REQUEST=None, name=None):
        db, aname, version_support = self._stuff
        if version_support is not None and REQUEST is not None:
        else: version=''

As I understand it, even if the Version product is removed, just putting at variable named 'Zope-Version' into the REQUEST will cause reads and writes to happen in a version.
Am I missing something here?