Dario,

The best solution for me always has been to serve such files statically from Apache, bypassing ZServer altogether. In fact I have added support for static URLs to my version of ExtFile <http://zope.org/Members/shh/ExtFile>.

ZEO clusters will need a comon disk share (SAMBA, NFS) for this to work.

HTH,
Stefan