I wrote:
 > - In debug mode, add a new handler that dumps to standard output.  This
 > is fairly easy to code, but is inflexible.

Andreas responded:
 > But flexible enough for most usecase. The point is that you want to see
 > the tracebacks on the console during the development phase. Watching the
 > event.log with tail -f is somewhat annoying.

Understood!  I've committed changes that that I think should do the trick for
you.

- In debug mode, a log handler is added to the root logger that writes events
  to standard error.  This is no longer conflated with the "startup" logging.

- When running Zope using "zopectl fg" (the best way to run things for
  debugging), zopectl will force debug mode to be enabled.

 > > - In debug mode, use an alternate or auxillary logging configuration to
 > >   replace or augment the <eventlog> configuration section.  This is more
 > > work   up front, but keeps everything flexible.
 >
 > Maybe too much overkill...not sure if one needs an academic solution
 > here...

I don't know that I'd describe this as academic (most academics I've worked
with considered the ability to change the code configuration enough), but if
you're happy not to need it, I'm happy not to implement it.  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation