[Florian Schulze]
> When you use svn:external, it will be copied as is to the tag, so when the
> external files change, the files in the tag change as well. So a svn cp
> would be better I guess.

When I make an SVN tag, like repos/main/ZODB/tags/3.4.0a1, the iron
intent is that no changes will ever be checked in on that tag.
Otherwise the tag would be useless (a tag is meant to capture a frozen
point in time).  So there's no particular danger in specifying an
honest-to-gosh tag in an svn:externals block, although SVN doesn't
enforce read-only-ness of tags.

If we're worried about that (I'm not), svn:externals also allows
specifying a specific revision number to fetch.  That should be
bulletproof.

OTOH, over the next few days, while Jim and I are trying to get other
ZODB 3.4 changes made and merged in, it may actually be an advantage
to point to ZODB trunk directories, so that ZODB changes show up in
the Zope trunk at once too.  That's half of how it works in Zope 2.7
(there, changes checked in from anywhere show up everywhere at once).