On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:52:02AM +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:
> Hi,
> for next release we plan to replace several parts with the corresponding
> components from Zope 3 (e.g. ZPT??). Philipp is working on a proposal on
> that issue. In addition I would like to get rid of some old stuff that is
> no longer maintained and buggy:
> - ZopeTutorial (could be ripped off without implications and made available
>   for download on zope.org)

> - HelpSys - from a programmers view pretty much useless and not very
>   helpful. I consider to replace it with something more useful (not sure
>   we can re-use apidoc from Zope 3 in some way, perhaps the inclusion
>   of Dieter's Docfinder might be more useful for programmers)

Whenever this topic comes up, people speak of HelpSys as if it's all API
documentation for programmers. In fact the lion's share of it is
user-oriented online structured text documentation which is IMNSHO very
good to have.  And many third-party products provide such documentation
of their own.  Especially when I was new to Zope, I read them

+1 that the API docs should be extracted from interfaces and
should leverage zope3 technology.  See my old proposal here:
... and the ensuing discussion:

Status of that proposal: I did a large portion of step 1 and
step 5 in the 2.7 version of the Zope Book, but - as Dieter
predicted - I ran out of steam long before finishing it.
It's a tedious job, and I only got small amounts of help from a couple
of volunteers.

-1 on removing the structured text docs. I don't know if anybody
actually was proposing to remove it, but since nobody mentions it,
it's easy to conclude that :-)

All this stuff will take work... Maybe we could have a doc sprint at pycon?

> - Gadfly(DA) - do we really need this? We discussed this already. In my
>   opinion the purpose of Gadfly is only educational but nothing that one
>   really needs or uses for production. It could be removed and made
>   available for download on zope.org.

> And my favourite enemy in Zope: ZClasses :-) I would like to mark them
> _clearly_ as an obsolete feature (DeprecationWarning, Warnings in the ZMI
> and the Zope Book). I _don't_ propose to remove them at some point but ppl
> should be aware that they are using one of the most-scary components in
> Zope (please no further discussion about the pros and cons of
> ZClasses..this discussion took already place already a bunch of times on
> the list).

Paul Winkler