I'm going to go ahead with this update in hopes of resolving some
windows client problems that may be confounding our efforts to
run windows tests with buildbot.

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

On 19 Dec 2005, at 22:08, Jim Fulton wrote:

Sounds good.  I'll announce that the repo will be down for maintenance
on the 25th,

Just FYI, during a dry run this morning I hit an obvious snag: The subversion packages on svn.zope.org are so ancient that they cannot create FSFS backends. What I was able to test so far is dumping: It takes just 10 minutes and creates a file 1.1GB in size, so that's good.

I had a look at the packages on the box and luckily the (rather obscure) source they are from does supply newer ones:

From eyeballing the RPM requirements and then doing a dry-run the packages that will need updating are...

- swig (1.3.19-1.1 to 1.3.19-3)
- subversion (1.0.6-1 to 1.2.3-1)
- subversion-tools (1.0.6-1 to 1.2.3-1)
- subversion-python (1.0.6-1 to 1.2.3-1)

This additional packages needs to be installed for svn-tools:

- subversion-perl (1.2.3-1)

Since I cannot do any test right now for loading the dumpfile into a FSFS-based repository I suggest doing this package upgrade beforehand. It only takes a few minutes. I cannot make any guarantees that nothing will break, however. The only major upgrade to a running SVN setup that I have done was 1.1 to 1.2.1 and that was perfectly fine.

How should I proceed?