On 14 Jun 2006, at 22:06, Dieter Maurer wrote:
Florent Guillaume wrote at 2006-6-13 22:13 +0200:
Yes but the deprecation has been there for a while, and the third
party product developers have been ignoring the warning. Their loss.

Interestingly, it is usually not the loss for the third party product
developers (as they usually gain nothing from their products) --
but for the people using the product.

When users repeatedly bitch to the developer because a product doesn't work with a newer Zope version, it's a loss of time for the developer. He would have gained time by doing the correction in advance of the users discovering the problem.

Personally, I will simply blame Zope when one of my products
breaks for some stupid BBB incompatibility (such as removing
"zLOG" or "methods" support in initialization modules) introduced
by some Zope release.

I will fix them only, when I myself upgrade to a newer Zope
and hit the problems (only then, I can reproduce the problem
and check that the fix really fixes).
I am slowly upgrading (still using Zope 2.8).
Unlike Nuxeo, I do not get money (or other rewards)
for keeping my products in sync with the current Zope releases.

Nuxeo isn't getting money from using Zope 2.10, for instance, it's just that we believe that any improvements is worth putting back into Zope itself (if only so that maintenance is shared and peer-reviewed) and not kept in our own tree. Being interested in improving the framework means that we have to work with it, and it's better to work with something clean than with something that has accumulated years and years of cruft. So we're interested in cleaning up the framework. This means deprecating broken, old or dirty stuff at some point.