perhaps the sun burned too long on my brain today but I investigated some options for replacing DateTime with Python's datetime module. Zope 3 uses datetime and we all know that the DateTime implementation sucks. Especially the timezone implementation has a bunch of problems (count the bugtracker issues related to timezone errors).

We can not get rid of the DateTime class and its API for backward compatibility reasons.

The DateTime class remains in place and uses an instance attribute to represent the original value of a DateTime object as instance of datetime.
Calls to the old DateTime API are proxied to corresponding calls of
the datetime API (or emulated)

Efforts so far:
I have some quick-and-dirty implementation that can construct the
datetime instance directly within the DateTime constructor and when
implementation...could be used for an on-the-fly migration). This seems to work properly. For timezone related issues I am using pytz. However there is a problem with using pytz: the timezone names supported by pytz are sometimes different from the standard one. E.g. 'GMT+0400' is represented in pytz as '/Etc/GMT+0400'...however that seems to be solvable.

Before digging deeper I would like to hear some opinions if this seems a reasonable approach? Unlikely that we can achieve 100% backward compatibility but possibly 99%....thoughts...comments?