during the latest 'zope.publisher' thread on zope-dev I came up with
the proposal to eggify the Zope core for the Zope 2.12 release. I would like to start a discussion about the pros and cons, risks and advantages of any eggification effort.

Chris favors a 'big' Zope egg with some dependencies (like ZODB) stripped out. I would prefer a more broader approach. One of the reasons are company-internals modifications to the Zope core. Right now we maintain a more or less heavy modified version of Zope 2.8 in our repos (making Zope upgrades
pretty hard). A better modularization would help us here. Another example:
the Plone people maintained a Zope 2.10 branch with experimental ZODB blob support. With an eggified version of ZODB you could easily switch the eggs (easily spoken).

So before promoting the eggification as an ultimate goal, let's discuss what we really need and want. A complete eggification just for the sake of eggs is possibly not the goal :-)