Hello Dan,

In short, a good translation is consistent.
That means the same sentences are translated to the same foreign
sentence. A so-called translation memory is used for that.
Also terms (specific words or expressions of the domain) are
translated to the same foreign term.

I think that's the idea of Stephan.

There are proprietary tools to enforce this. I think launchpad
translation is somehow also a translation memory as it pulls in
previous translations.
Though no idea how the above could be solved with FOSS tools.

--
Best regards,
 Adam GROSZER                            mailto:agros...@gmail.com