Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I've been working on the dependencies to and from zope.publisher.
> Refining the dependencies should make it easier to integrate
> zope.pipeline when it's ready.
> I've noticed that nearly all packages that depend on zope.publisher
> depend only on a few pieces of it:
>    - zope.publisher.interfaces
>    - zope.publisher.browser.Browser{View|Page}
>    - zope.publisher.browser.TestRequest
> One simple, low-risk refactoring I would like to do is move
> zope.publisher.interfaces into its own package, make zope.publisher a
> namespace package, and make zope.publisher depend on
> zope.publisher.interfaces.  The __init__.py in zope.publisher is already
> empty, so I expect the namespace conversion to be safe.  Then I'd like
> to refine the dependency list of various packages that only require
> zope.publisher.interfaces.  Any objections?

> It is less clear what we should do with BrowserView and BrowserPage.
> They depend on zope.location, unlike the rest of zope.publisher, so they
> don't really fit there.  Perhaps those two belong in a new package,
> "zope.publisher.browserbase".  There is also the tiny new "zope.browser"
> package.  Would it make sense to move them there?  (It's hard to tell
> what the intent of the new package is.)  I'd love to hear other suggestions.

zope.browser is supposed to be a zero-dependency spot for commonly-used

  This package provides shared zope browser components without other

So I wouldn't move anything depending on zope.location into that
package.  Your new package idea sounds better.

> As for TestRequest, I could update the setup.py of various packages that
> currently depend on zope.publisher just for TestRequest.  I would make
> zope.publisher a test-only requirement.

Frankly, any code using a testing stub which is that heavyweight needs
to be refactored.

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)