Martijn Faassen wrote:
> The main problem I have with the zope publication machinery is that
> after all these years of using it I *still* get lost in it regularly.
> A more regular architecture that can be traced more easily would not
> only allow better understanding on my part, but might also allow us to
> more easily selectively replace or remove bits of it.

+1.  As I recall, we tried to build a regular architecture in
zope.publisher using the IPublication interface, but the publisher
machinery is still painfully difficult to understand without extensive

I think a pipeline design will make the publisher a lot easier for
everyone to understand because the pipeline design seems to keep
concerns closer together.  For example, I've made a "traversal" module
in zope.pipeline which has nearly all of the traversal logic in one
place and almost nothing else.  Its code came from at least 4 scattered
modules.  Now, in theory, when people want to understand traversal, they
will usually only need to understand one module.