Previously Jacob Holm wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Martijn Faassen wrote:
> >
> >> Hey,
> >>
> >> Stephan Richter wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> Yes, I was thinking in this direction too. I can see this as more of an
> >> issue with bug fixes than with feature changes. This means that
> >> requirements can only say zope.foo >= x.y, and never zope.foo >= x.y.z.
> >>
> >> What do people think?
> >>

> > -1 still
> >
> > If I install a package I want to have a guarantee all aspects of that
> > package work correctly. With this compromise that is not possible.
> >
> > Wichert.
> >

> I am not quite sure what you mean... Are you saying that the proposal
> does not go far enough, and we should allow the full >=x.y.z? Or are you
> against any and all versions in setup.py?

I see no useful different between x.y and x.y.z here. All I want is if
someone installs one of our packages that package will work as expected.
If a package will only work with a certain revisions of a dependent
package it has to state say.

If we do not do that we are making it very hard for people to use Zope
packages: we are effectively telling them that we make no guarantee
about package stability and they will have to either use one of our many
KGS or figure out all dependencies by hand. I do not think that is an
acceptable message, and it certainly will not encourage people to use
Zope packages.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wich...@wiggy.net>    It is simple to make things.