Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:55, Martin Aspeli <optilude+li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> We've had some more discussions about this and the Plone release
>>> schedule. The upshot is that if Zope 3/Toolkit drops Python 2.4 support,
>>> it will effectively render it inaccessible to Plone users for the next
>>> 12-18 months. We're not comfortable moving to Zope 2.12 for the 3.x
>>> series. We may be able to move to Zope 2.11, which *may* work with
>>> Python 2.5, but this is not clear.
>> Can you expand on this argument, because I don't understand it. Zope
>> 2.10 doesn't stop working because Zope 2.12 no longer supports Python
>> 2.4. And you are not expected to use Zope Toolkit with Zope 2.10, as
>> Zope 2.10 uses Zope 3.3 rather than Zope Toolkit.
> But you can use a lot of the Zope Toolkit with Zope 2.10, which is an
> enormous benefit. If that was not possible a lot of the things people
> want to do with Plone would not be possible.

What benefit?  The ZTK is a mostly-equivalent subset of the Zope 3.3
shipped with Zope 2.10.x already.  There is nothing "shiny" about using
the ZTK (new features, etc.).

If Plone 3.x can't afford to move the Zope 2.12, then it *definitely*
can't use the ZTK.  Moving the ZTK creates *wildly* more BBB issues /
instability risks than 2.12 ever would.  Constraining the ZTK to fit
this weird pattern you guys have of trying to cherry pick bits of it is
an anti-goal.

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)