On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:32:42AM +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 23:55, Marius Gedminas <mar...@gedmin.as> wrote:
> > I don't know if 'doctestunit' was ever a part of the official
> > zope.testing API, I just know that I've learned to use

So, Monday!  I take a deeper look at the codebase, and I see that only
two test files written way back in 2004, in the very oldest corner of
the code used doctestunit in this way.  IOW thanks for the wake-up call,
those two files got promptly fixed.

I'll try collect more info before spewing off next time.

> I've looked through the history of doctestunit, and it seems like it
> once was. This was changed 5 years ago, and doctestunit was left with
> BBB imports without comments and without deprecation.
> Then they was removed in a cleanup, as they simply was unused imports.
> This probably should be reverted. I'll add them back with
> deprecations, and also deprecate zope.testing.doctest in general.

Can you please make it a PendingDeprecationWarning first?

There were actual bugfixes in zope.testing.doctest that weren't present
in the stdlib's doctest.py (e.g. bin/test --coverage would stop working
if any module imported doctest).  I still have one production instance
running on Python 2.4 (hopefully not for too long), and I'm not sure if
doctest was sufficiently fixed in 2.4.

Marius Gedminas