I'm +1 for deprecating python: expressions in the context of views. But I'm not sure what "deprecate" would mean; I doubt they can go away entirely given the body of code that exists which uses them.

An interesting thing about python: expressions... I've found that simple "python: foo['bar']" expressions are typically faster than their path counterparts ("foo/bar") because they are more explicit. This is not an argument to use them instead of path expressions, but I thought it was interesting regardless in a I-didn't-expect-that kind of way.

If there was even a small speed win in making TALES expression parsing faster by removing support for python: in some backwards- incompatible mode, that would be a *reason* to deprecate-in-code rather than deprecate-in-documentation.

- C