Rocky Burt wrote:
I was about to make that same point.  Having to know how to use two
different configuration types makes getting started harder.

...well, I'll say it again, you have to know both of these anyway ;-)

But, another few points that I'd like are:
  - using (and only using) XML-based configuration files makes it much
easier for people of other large systems (ie j2ee) who are starting out
with zope feel much more at home and thus lowers the barrier of entry -
I say this from personal experience

Personally, I think more people have used Apache than J2EE, and Apache uses .conf files for its configuration...

  - building applications or products that need to generate
configuration files is much easier if the config files are XML-based -
parsing and generating gets much easier

Can you give a more specific use case here? I've never had to generate config files in a way that would have been easier had they been XML-based...