Christian Theune wrote:

Hi,

we (Jim, Nathan, Michael and me) did some planning on how we're going to
release Zope 3.4 and the future Zope 3 releases that are based on eggs.

I tried to catch up and did my writing here:
http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/DefiningZope34Release

There is also a project in the repository in Zope3.buildout that tries
to implement the proposal and is a work in progress that doesn't work
right now.

I think we need not to mimic the zpkg based release for 3.4, rather we should use zpkg for this release also.
Because,
- there is no particular advantage for mimicking zpkg based release using zc.buildout
 - we are gradually moving towards an egg based releases
 - applications are better to build using zc.buildout
- our 3.4 alpha 1 release date is approaching, we follow time-based release !
   (And our policy is to drop a feature, if it's not ready at time, is it?)

In addition to this zpkg based release, we can release all eggs (as mentioned in the proposal) and make it
available for download from a location.

I think we are going to stop current way of releasing Zope 3 sooner or later, so we should advocate the use of
eggs and zc.buildout for building and deploying Zope 3 applications.

Regards,
Baiju M