Am Donnerstag, den 26.04.2007, 08:40 +0200 schrieb Philipp von
Weitershausen:
> Christian Zagrodnick wrote:
> > now there those wonderful eggs for Zope 3. Apart from the permission
> > problem we ran into lately there is another one with those eggs:
> >
> > The dependencies aren't set right.
> >
> > Apparently nobody every ran the tests of those eggs. This is no wonder.
> > When developing you need to checkout Zope 3 instead of the egg source.
> > The Zope 3 tests would pass of course since everything is in place there.
> >
> > I think we should move the actual code to the eggs as soon as possible
> > and put the externals into the Zope 3 source. Otherwise nobody ever will
> > run the egg tests.
> >
> > Also we need to take care of depending on certain versions. For instance
> > zope.location required a recent version of zope.proxy (>3.3).
>
> I personally don't like these "exclusive dependencies" that say what you
> don't want. I'd rather spell it out as what I want. I think this
> dependency should ready >=3.4.

Well. This depends. If you want to enable eggs to work against unstable
releases then you need to do >3.3, because:

3.3 < 3.4dev < 3.4a < 3.4(.0)

> > And it's
> > definitely better to say "I need >3.3 but can't find it" during buildout
> > than "zope.proxy has no module named decorator" somewhere when starting
> > the application.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > So, how do we get out of this? :)
>
> +1 on requiring running tests of individual projects
>
> Perhaps we could also automate this using a buildbot...

*yikes*

I'm not very fond of buildbot at the moment as it seems extremely
fragile. In this case I'm more worried about the tests getting run *at
all* than managing to run them on multiple machines.

Lightweight administration is the key to this problem IMHO.

Christian