Hey,

I'm in front of the same wall that Fred was going up. ;)

I talked to Zagy about the problems we're facing with the current egg
releases of projects that live in Zope3/src/zope/ and
Zope3/src/zope/app/ and wrote this up a bit:

Problems
========

When working with eggs, we need to carefully use version numbers for the
releases and be able to do continuous releases. This is currently a bit
icky:

- Coding in the tree doesn't force you to get the individual
dependencies right, especially when dependencies evolve over time and
require constraints based on the version number.

- Releasing and tagging doesn't go together very well in this schema,
although continuous releases shouldn't require tags anyway. The normal
continuous releases from setuptools get somewhat awkward because we have
the indirection of the external.

I was trying to think about the constraints of handling the large tree
when moving the code of all projects into satellite projects. IIRC the
requirement is that all projects that we move out now will get a common
version number.

Proposal
========

Here is what we found would be workable and would like to do later today
before doing the beta release. I call this approach "synchronized
satellites" picking up on the terminology Fred came up with. ;)

- Move the code of the remaining projects into the satellite
  projects.

- Replace the satellite's external with the actual code on its
  trunk and point the Zope 3 trunk back to the package in the
  satellite project's trunk.

- Create a directory "version" in the Zope 3 tree that holds a
  "version.txt" file.  This will be the common version number
  that Zope 3 and the satellite projects share.

- Create an external in the satellite projects trunk
  that points to the version directory in Zope 3's trunk.

- Set the version.txt file to read "3.4.0b1". This will always
  read the next version that is going to be released.

- Change the setup.py for the satellite projects to read their
  version number from version/version.txt

In this setting we can develop the satellite projects on their own and
make releases that match the code.

Future releases
----------------

When releasing Zope 3 "the large project" as beta 1 in this case,
following steps would be involved to keep the projects in sync:

- Create a release tag on the satellites (tags/3.4.0b1)

- Create a release tag on the Zope 3 trunk (tags/3.4.0b1)

- Update the `version` external on the tagged satellites
  to the tag of the Zope 3 trunk

- Update the Zope 3 tag to refer to the release tags on the
  satellites.

- Increase the version number on the Zope 3 trunk to `3.4.0b2`

Note: When deciding that we don't target b2 anymore but c1, we can just
update the trunk at any point in time. I don't expect any hassles from
that change. Most important thing is that the version.txt on the trunk
is monotonically increasing.

Support scripts
---------------

As we are dealing with more than 90 eggs here, we'll also need script
support to keep the handling of the synchronized satellites bearable.

I'll expect to need following scripts:

- Transform the current source tree into the "synchronized
  satellites" approach (one time thing)

- Do a release tag of the Zope 3 tree that includes the mechanics
  of updating the externals as described in the section 'Future
  releases' (needed in the future)

For those scripts I'll need to maintain a list of those synchronized
satellite projects that needs to live somewhere. Not all zope.* and
zope.app.* projects are satellites, just because they are referenced as
externals from the Zope 3 tree (e.g. zope.testing is not) so I'm afraid
I'll need to put an explicit list somewhere.

Conclusion

I hope the proposed approach sounds reasonable to you as well and would
like to get feedback. I'd like to keep the beta on hold until we solved
the packaging issues that I (and others) are facing currently and am
willing to put in work today to keep the schedule if we can agree on a
schema how to handle this.

Christian