On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 07:45:09PM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote at 2007-5-22 14:18 +0300:
> >seem to be minor inconveniences rather than show-stoppers to me.  I'd
> >love to hear real horror stories.
> I do not have horror stories but dislike system pythons because
> they tend to have debugging symbols stripped.
> Unfortunately, Zope applications sometimes crash or spin
> and it is often very efficient to be able to use a C level
> debugger to analyse such situations. However, this has only any
> hope when Python still has its debugging information...

Another good point.  I recently needed that to figure out why Zope 3
request processing threads got stuck communicating with an aspell
subprocess.  (That's when I discovered that if I apt-get install
python2.4-dbg in Ubuntu, I'll get debug symbols for the system Python.)

Is there any documentation about how to extract the Python level stack
trace when you've attached to a Python program at C level with gdb?
(One of my fantasies (i.e. projects I'll never find the time to work on)
is adding Python support to sysprof, the whole-system statistical
profiler for Linux.)

Marius Gedminas
Place mark here ->[ ]<- if you want a dirty monitor.