Marius Gedminas wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:44:47AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
On May 21, 2007, at 1:39 AM, Martijn Pieters wrote:
Come again? Using the system python when developing has always been
fine;
No. It has never been fine for any aspect of development. If you develop with your system Python and deploy with a custom environment, then you've added a variable that is different between the two environments. Also, system Python's are often hobbled in ways that hurt development.

I sometimes get really weird error reports that are traced to system Pythons. People who report problems to me that result from using a system Python make me angry and make me want to not answer their questions or otherwise help them any more.

I'd love to hear some anecdotes about this.  The ones I know about:

  * distros releasing newer point versions of Python with security fixes
    (cgi.FieldStorage) that break Zope 3

I consider that a major show-stopper. An innocent "apt-get upgrade" pulls in Python 2.4.4c0 and all of a sudden all your Zope apps break! Well not mine, I use self-compiled Pythons for my production servers...