On 27.06.2007, at 16:01, Christian Theune wrote:

the recent introduction of zope.app.keyreference-3.5dev with it's
dependency on ZODB 3.9 brought some issues for me as I get conflicts in
various buildouts (e.g. z3c.zalchemy).

In my example, z3c.zalchemy doesn't care about which version of
zope.app.keyreference it gets, as even the newer one won't affect us.

I'd like to re-visit the discussion about "stable package versions" and
how to approach the distutils list to get what we want.

Currently I resolve this issue by putting a specific version in my
project's buildout and leave the package (e.g. z3c.zalchemy) alone.

I'm not sure whether this is the strategy we should use. Should
z3c.zalchemy say: I'm good with zope.app.keyreference==3.4 (with our
proposed syntax, or <3.5dev with the current syntax)?

you have to write <=3.4.999 afaik, see the previsous discussions.

the point is that any new feature should increase the number after the first dot and should be backward compatible with previous versions incompatablities should result in a new major version, so it would be ok to write <3.9999

the problem here is that the update of zope.app.keyreference is introducing indirect incompatiblilities not know yet but still starts with a 3 as mayor version, which is not ok imo because we can not be sure that this change is backward compatible with the 3.4 version. it should be 4.0.0a1 because it switches to zodb 3.9. I already discussed with gary about this in a thread on this list from today.

I'd like to see some consensus on how we handle those ...

Zope3-dev mailing list
Unsub: http://mail.zope.org/mailman/options/zope3-dev/bernd.dorn% 40lovelysystems.com