Martijn Faassen wrote:
A release of zope.dottedname was made apparently today that refers to a CHANGES.txt but doesn't have one. Probable scenario: someone forgot to svn add a CHANGES.txt, then didn't check out before the tag before releasing...

Right. This is actually a *common* mistake. Not everybody believed me when I sad that it was. I think we've got proof of this once more now.

A couple of days ago I added some very explicit instructions on how you should make a release to my guide [1]. Basically it says you should *first* make a tag and only create the release *from the tag*. I hope that people will take this more seriously now.

It's not that I consider my guide to be a papal edict (I'm not Jim, after all), but it *is* based on experience and best practices. Having made releases for many Zope eggs (if you want proof, just look at [2]), I think I can safely say that I know my way around the pitfalls now. That said, I welcome any suggestion that other people have while creating releases. We need to get better at this stuff!

[1] http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/maintaining-software.txt
[2] http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/StabilizeEggPackages