On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:15:50 -0700
 Paul Dumais <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Do we start from scratch? Can we use any of the material from Stephan or Phillip's books? The Zope 3 Developer's Handbook by Stephan Richter
doesn't seem to have any copywrite notice on it (on line pdf version
at least). Can someone tell me what are the restrictions on it's use?

I don't know where Stephan Richter wrote his book, but I strongly suspect he did it in a country that is a signatory to the Berne Convention. (http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/trtdocs_wo001.html)

Most countries (including the US) are signatories to the Berne Convention. One element of that convention is for copyright to be ascribed automatically upon creation on a tangible medium -- even if no express copyright notice is present. In the US, a copyright notice is *optional* for all works created after March 1, 1989.

I suspect that you are thinking of pre-1976 US Copyright law, where a copyright notice was much more important. Currently, however, the lack of copyright notice does not absolve the author of their copyright.

In short, it is a very safe bet that Mr. Richter's book is copyrighted, and you would have to seek permission from the owner of the copyright (which may or may not be Mr. Richter) to use that text.

Ron