John Maddison wrote:
I've just started playing around with using z3c.layer to create
applications that don't use the ZMI at all.  Everything is pretty
simple so far, except for one fairly important step: creating my
initial application object in the ZODB.  What methods do people use to
create their application root objects (aside from the ZMI)?

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few ways:
* Special BrowserPage (named, e.g. 'install-app') that creates the
application object and puts it in /
We do not change the root object itself, but we generate other application root objects within the root object using an extension of the z3c.sampledata package. This is very confortable to setup more complex applications that needs some initial containment and application-specific configurations.

Regards,
Dominik