Jim Fulton a écrit :
issues, but again I find myself fighting against my natural instincts.
Where's some end user documentation?

I've started learning buildout 3 weeks ago and I've found this document (the latter) extremely useful, because it is not a low-level reference but rather a 30000-feets view with opinions, some examples, some ideas, and it explains the 'why' and the 'when'. It has helped me understanding buildout quickly, to the point of using it for production on small projects. And I'm now saving lots of time installing preview and final versions. Temporarily switching final eggs to develop-eggs to quickly fix some bug is another interesting idea suggested by this document and it will eventually help improving zope because it makes it so easy to test and commit even a minor issue in a particular environment, without interfering with anything else. Btw, I've started a translation of this tutorial, and I was suddenly wondering what was its license? (I didn't find a mention)

The doc-test is difficult to read
and speaks in generics, not about day-to-day problems.

Everyone's a critic.

That I'm still frustrated by these tools all this time later is

Yes. I'm disappointed that you're frustrated. Thanks for sharing. I find this post inspires me to want to take the day off to write better tutorials.

I've gotten Buildout to work on some small components. It's great -
check out the source, run buildout, wait, wait, wait, and then have a
nice little self contained testing and development environment. But
I've never been able to get a full Zope 3 "Application" up and running
in that environment.

Lots of people have. I expect that there are a number of examples. One example is the zc.z3monitor buildout, svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zc.z3monitor/trunk. This buildouts out a working ZEO server and a minimal Zope 3 application that uses it. Others might be able to suggest better examples,

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation