Here's a high-level response to this thread.

As others have pointed out, zope.component and zope.interface should work fine without the C optimizations and I'm in favor of changing the setup to make them installable without the optimizations.

zope.proxy is harder. :( What's especially sad is that the dependency on it is rather unimportant. It is used by zope.deferredimport. I was forced to use proxies because of annoying limitations in Python's module implementation and the inspect module's assumption that a module is not a module unless it subclasses the standard Python module type. I expect though that a simpler proxy implementation could be used by deferredimport. This would make zope.component depend on zope.proxy only if the annoying zcml is used.

I'd love to see both of the above fixed, but, sadly, don't have time to fix them myself any time soon.

Jim