Hi John,

Wingware Support wrote:

Right now, Wing only supports file system based code.

Really? Why?

For code in the database, I'd think you would want to set co_filename to some sort of url.

You could always look at the product I mailed you about, it's not exactly big ;-)

Somehow the debugger needs to find the source text that produced a code object, and using co_filename is the standard way of doing this.

Yep, that's what zdb does..

By unpluggable do you mean it assumes code is on the file system?

Yeah, and it certainly was a fair assumption, but what with now having code coming form .zip's in plain python and zodb in Zope, it reallt could do with a good kicking...

Yes, you don't want the debugger on a production system. Simply setting the co_filename attribute won't slow the system down, though.

Yup, but zdb pre-stuff the linecache so the normal pdb mechanisms can find the code, and that _is_ expensive ;-) Not to mention oh so many monkey patches calls which both zbd and WingDbg suffer from ;-)

cheers,

Chris - who would be interested to know if you actually downloaded zdb and had a look at its source...

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk