Dieter Maurer wrote:
> This does not look like a crash.
>
> The message tells you that a start failed because another running (!)
> process still has the ZODB storage file locked.
>
> Almost surely, Zope is not dead (at least not completely).
>

> I have seen similar behaviour in the past: caused by a Python threading
> bug triggered by a Linux 2.4 signal handling peculiarity:
>
>    A fatal signal kills the main Zope thread (handling all IO
>    with the clients) but let the remaining threads in an
>    insane state (could only be removed with "kill -9").

This is exactly what happens! The process still exists but it doesn't respond.

> Current Python versions should have fixed this problem.
>> Operating system is SuSE Linux 8.0, Zope version is 2.5.0, Python 2.2,
>
> Almost surely, one of the configurations with the bug mentioned above...

Well, for testing I tried to copy the Zope DB (Data.fs.*) into a fresh OpenSuSE 10.0 installation. Zope version there is 2.7.7. It works but now I get an authorization request dialog on every page. Any idea what could have gone wrong during the upgrade?

--
Sincerely yours
Sven Jacobs