Dieter Maurer wrote:
"ZODB.DB.DB" provides methods for detailed analysis of the cached objects.

Cool, I'll bear that in mind...

It is used for the "Extreme cache detail" ZMI page
but can also be used differently (e.g. from an "External Methode"
or via the "ZServer Monitor Server" interactively).

I've never known how to use the monitor server. Are there examples or documentation anywhere?

Of course, it'd be lovely if you could actually specify an upper memory bound for a particular request to use, and/or Zope as a whole, but these kinds of things always seem to stall at the development stage :-(

You should find the culprit. While a better cache management might
avoid the MemoryError, the observed bad behaviour would trash
your cache -- and following activities would be by several orders
slower than usual....

Yes, but it's a bad failure mode.
Slow-but-functional is better than throwing MemoryErrors in my book...
(especially as a trashed cache resolves itself, whereas MemoryErrors always seem to require a restart...)