I've been using Zope 2 since 2000 and like it a lot, but I think your concerns are very valid. I don't fully understand why the Zope 2 (and Zope 3) community seems so much less vibrant than it used to be, but am aware of several well-known possible factors, in particular the Zope2 vs Zope3 schism, the state of the zope.org web site, and the wide set of competing alternatives. That said, Zope is very rich and, in my opinion, very mature.

I have used Zope 2 too extensively to give it up. I use it for several sites. I don't see anything I like better, but have a nagging worry that Zope, and especially Zope 2, may become increasingly neglected as time goes by.
I hope I am wrong, but it is definitely something to be concerned about.
All in all, I'd still recommend Zope 2 and, in fact, hope for all of sake of us all that lots of other people continue to make this choice. Note that even COBOL and the Amiga, the most obsolete technologies I can think of readily, still have developer communities, so even the worst-case scenarios won't imply a sudden Zope termination.

Personally, I find DTML a moderately ugly language, but very effective and easy to get in to. I use it often, but
typically only in limited amounts per page.
When the going gets rough and complicated you
should think about using a Python scripts and resist the temptation of getting into hairy DTML tricks.

DTML in Zope is like salt: it is necessary to life,
very tempting and seductive, but can have bad consequences when used to excess.

Somebody asked about what things make Zope so appealing and without re-listing the whole feature set, the combination of the ZMI and the very simple and robust through-the-web stuff, the wide selection of both powerful and quick-to-use script and template solutions, and a good selection of plugin products are the top features.

Cheetah and Zope sounds like an obvious combination. I am surprised it hasn't been done yet and will be shocked it if isn't implemented by somebody within another month or two. One issue is that Cheetah has the non-XML ugliness of DTML without really big advantages in terms of functionality (even though it looks clean), and it would further fragment the community and set of options. Splitting a community is a really dangerous idea. Even Zope plus PHP might be a safer choice for the resulting sub-community (note I am holding my nose as I type this).

I've used Plone a fair bit, but find it too heavy for many simple applications, even though it has some really great features. (Heavy in various ways.) The Plone 2 vs Plone 3 migration just makes it more complicated.