--On 17. Februar 2008 22:51:47 -0800 Erik Myllymaki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have an older Zope install and i want to enable searching of Page
Templates and PDFs.

Because it's an older Zope version (2.8.5) I have had to go back a few
revisions of TextIndexNG3 (3.1.16) and Five (1.2.6)

Install seems fine including setup of the extensions modules.

I create a textIndexNG Index called PrincipiaSearchSource, Converters
show that pdftotext is available and HTML to ASCII is 'always' available.

I find all Page Templates and PDFs and Catalog them. They do show up in
the Catalog, but the Page Templates have all their HTML tags included in
the catalog(I thought they would be stripped automagically)

Your expectations are wrong. If an object does not provide IIndexableContent or if there is no adapter for this then TXNG3 will default to the "old" Zope 2 indexing behaviour and index the string representation of the content as it is.

and the PDFs
have no words cataloged at all.

If you have the external converters installed and if they are in the $PATH
and available to the Python interpreter process then I have strong doubts about that. Trible check that. If necessary take the debugger for checking
the calls of the external converters.

-aj