Andreas Jung wrote:

and the PDFs
have no words cataloged at all.

If you have the external converters installed and if they are in the $PATH
and available to the Python interpreter process then I have strong doubts about that. Trible check that. If necessary take the debugger for checking
the calls of the external converters.

I'm pretty sure the converters are installed properly, but the issue is
prior to the calling of any converters.

Stepping through textindexng/content.py - extract_content():

139         for f in icc.getFields():
140
141  ->              d = icc.getFieldData(f)
142
143             # check if we need to convert
144             if d.has_key('mimetype'):

d never has a key of 'mimetype'.