> I would start with a list of requirements...

The requirements are to run distributed map/reduce on 'live' xml data
that is stored by the zope application server.

>You'll be calling
>out to something else to do map/reduce and return you the results.

Agreed, but what is the storage mechanism for the files used in that process?
If it is the hadoop file system then you can't use live data, you
would have to copy the files to the hadoop file sytem, correct?

It still looks to me like a zope to virtual file system mapping would
be useful. Unfortunately it also looks like I am the only one who
wants it so I'm not going to post it to the gsoc mailing list.