--On 26. Juni 2008 22:05:06 +0000 Garry Saddington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thursday 26 June 2008 15:12, Andreas Jung wrote:
--On 26. Juni 2008 14:09:50 +0000 Garry Saddington

> I am using Zope 2.9 connected to a Posgres DB via psycopg. My database
> encoding is UTF8.  I am getting the following error when users try to
> insert text in the database containing £ signs: ERROR: invalid byte
> sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xa3
> This is due to the encoding of a £ sign in the text being sent to
> the DB. My question then is how do I make sure that all encodings
> submiitted from forms are in the correct UTF8 format? Regards

Use ensure that the HTML page uses UTF-8 as encoding
(either using <meta-equiv...> within the HTML page or by sending

content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8

as HTTP header.

I have taken this a little further after trying all suggestions in the
thread with no success and looked into zope.conf, specifically:

# Directive: default_zpublisher_encoding
#     This controls what character set is used to encode unicode
#     data that reaches ZPublisher without any other specified encoding.
# Default: iso-8859-15
# Example:
#    default_zpublisher_encoding utf-8

As my pages all report as iso-8859-15 I thought a change here would help,
but this happens:

  from OFS.content_types import guess_content_type
Error: 'default_zpublisher_encoding' is not a known key name

It works on this:  Zope Version  (Zope 2.9.0, python 2.4.2, win32)

And fails on this:  Zope Version  (Zope 2.9.0-, python 2.4.5, linux2)

Totally wrong approach modifying the zpublisher encoding here. As said you have two options:

- <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
 with in your HTML

. <tal:call define="dummy python: request.RESPONSE('content-type', 'text/html;; charset=utf-8')" /> within your template

The Second solution is known to work across all browsers reliably.