I think your reply touches most of the sore spots I am familiar with.
There's no doubt that 9legacy is missing out badly from the absence of
cinap's contributions to 9front and I'm the first to believe that a
one and true Plan 9 cannot afford to omit such pertinent enhancements,
just to list one, pretty massive example.

In a way, David IS the Plan 9 curator, but like all volunteers, his
focus has to be restricted to his interest scope, at the expense of
features that may spell life and death (in a metaphoric sense) for the
Plan 9 effort.

If one considers how much has been spent on Plan 9 so far and how much
it has served, irrespective of the emotional and aesthetic appeal that
we as 9fans presumably feel for it, it would be a shame to let slip,
as no doubt has happened already in the past, opportunities to give
Plan 9 a better grip in its context to ensure its survival against
more popular brands.

I guess it's a Darwinian issue: is there a flavour of Plan 9 capable
of earning sufficient traction where it matters (minds, more likely
than physical hosts) to ensure that its many still under-utilised
unique features are not lost, particularly to our very own community?
Can that flavour of Plan 9 be created, if necessary, from the
available "corpus" and what would the cost a committed community like
this one would need to bear to make that possible?

Such an effort would be the curatorship I have in mind, if you can call it that.

Lucio.

--
Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St