| On Wed 03 Jan 2001 at 02:29PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
| > Well, I'd like to point out that, except for typesetting issues,  the
| > V:   lines  aren't needed at all.

James Allwright replied:
| Actually, they are pretty much essential for generating multiple track
| MIDI files.

How so?  I'd think it would be easier to write the parts as  separate
files,  and then combine them.  Don't most MIDI packages let you read
in separate MIDI files and play them simultaneously?  If you  can  do
this, you don't loically need ABC's V: lines; you can just write each
part as a separate "tune" and combine them at will.

| On the topic of voice numbers needing to be contiguous (Laura's post);
| this restriction did exist in early versions of abc2midi, but the current
| version should allow non-contiguous voice numbers.

Maybe I should check that my tune finder has the current version ...