On Thu 04 Jan 2001 at 09:48AM +0000, Phil Taylor wrote:

> It was probably something like this which prompted Jean-
> Francois to suggest that a P: field should reset the voice
> number to 1.  In viewer programs the P: field is simply a
> label to be written above the first voice, but in player
> programs it's a flow control device used to determine the
> order in which parts are played, so resetting the voice
> number to 1 is a very bad idea here.

Actually, it is what abc2midi does. abc2midi has had a V: field
for a long time (and I think it was the first program to have
it). The abc2midi documentation describes some of the intricacies
of the fields interact. For example, a P: field in multi-voice
abc provides a good point for checking that all voices have
the same playing time.

> However, perhaps we do need a way of indicating that a field
> placed in any voice should be applied to all voices at that
> time point.  This requires a slightly different way of writing
> fields, possibly something like:

The problem with this idea is that it then becomes possible to
re-set the key in one voice from an instruction in the middle of
another voice and it will be very difficult for the human reader
to work out what is going on.

James Allwright