Laura writes:
|     Frank> Wil Macaulay wrote:
|     >> Lets have a little reality check here, and ask ourselves a
|     >> couple of simple questions: Why are there almost twenty
|     >> thousand tunes freely available in abc format on the internet,
|     >> more than two orders of magnitude more than any other format?
|
|     Frank> You're underestimating both ABC and "other formats" here.
|     Frank> Musica Viva alone has 2192 tunes in GIF format - 313 of
|     Frank> them are also in PDF format and 1239 of them in ABC format.
|
| I think Wil was talking about formats in which music *information* is
| available, not formats which graphically display information.  All the
| stuff in GIF or PDF on Musica Viva comes from music information which
| has been entered in some other format, such as ABC or finale.

This is correct, and quite relevant.  GIF  and  JPEG  aren't  musical
formats, and no musical information can be extracted from them. There
are a lot of images of printed music on the web in such formats,  but
there's  nothing  you can do with them except download them and print
them.  Some of them came from scanners, and some via conversion  from
true  musical files.  In a couple cases, people have scanned in music
so that others can transcribe it to abc.  (This isn't unusual; it has
been done with a lot of old documents, most notoriously with the Dead
Sea Scrolls.)

I've tried to find a way to locate images of music on  the  web,  and
it's pretty much hopeless.  I've succeeded with abc because it's easy
to extract musical information from  abc  files.   I  looked  at  the
songwright  and  nottingham  formats,  which each have a few thousand
tunes on the web, but most of them have been translated to abc, so  I
gave  up  on that.  (A bit of a pity, I'd say, since it wouldn't hurt
abc to have a bit of competition.  But I understand why they did it.)

I wonder how feasible it would be to add  other  formats  to  my  abc
search  bot?   I've  glanced  at  lilypond and MusicXML, but not long
enough to grok how I might write code to extract information such  as
titles, keys, etc. I looked into adding midi to my index, but a quick
check showed that very few of the .midi files out there have a title,
and that's what I use as a key.

(Curiously, there are a couple of abc sites whose files lack  titles.
One is http://shiva.di.uminho.pt/~jj/musica/abc, which has a bunch of
interesting-looking trad Portuguese tunes.   My  code  doesn't  index
them, either.)

BTW, the last run of my search program, a  few  days  ago,  gave  the
bottom-line numbers:

  Tunes  Titles   Files
  80209   89310   25135

The are counts of the X:  and T:  lines, and the distinct URLs.  I've
been  lax  about  posting  such  numbers lately, and I should add the
usual disclaimer that they mean less than you might think.  There are
around  25,000  distinct  titles,  with  a  mean  of betweeen 3 and 4
occurrences of each.  But even this is suspect, because  of  spelling
variations.   Some  of  the replication is from different versions of
tunes, but most is because of mirroring.

Still, I'd estimate that there are maybe 20K truly distinct ABC tunes
on the web that my search program has found, on about 125 machines.

I've found a couple dozen new sites in the past month or so.  Most of
them  are  small, but there was one site with over 6000 tunes (mostly
copied from other sites, so this site qualifies as a  "mirror"  site,
and contributed very few new titles.) I'd bet that there are a lot of
other small ABC sites out  there,  and  there's  a  small  chance  of
another  big  one.   If  you know of any obscure small abc sites, you
might go to my finder:
   http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html
Type in the host name, and it'll give you a list  of  all  the  known
tunes on that host.  If it's not found, send me the URL.

Is this feasible with any other musical formats?