John Chambers wrote:

> I wonder how feasible it would be to add  other  formats  to  my  abc
> search  bot?   I've  glanced  at  lilypond and MusicXML, but not long
> enough to grok how I might write code to extract information such  as
> titles, keys, etc. I looked into adding midi to my index, but a quick
> check showed that very few of the .midi files out there have a title,
> and that's what I use as a key.

Well, I haven't looked much at MusicXML, so I can't really comment
there.  However, with Lilypond, look for a \header block (Lily syntax is
sort of similar to TeX, since it translates to TeX which actually does
the typesetting).  It looks something like:

\header {
   title = "Floopsy Wumpus"
   subtitle = "Part XXIV"
   composer = "Gertrude Q. Wooketyflurp"
}

The key is embedded in the tune (in each voice); it looks something like
"\key c \minor" or "\key bes" (it uses Dutch note names, so "is" =>
sharp, "es" => flat, thus "bes" is "B flat").  If no "\minor" or
"\major" appears, it defaults to major.

Hope that helps!

   - Eric

--
"God is real, unless  // Name: // Eric Galluzzo // [EMAIL PROTECTED]