From: Bert Van Vreckem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 7:23 AM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] Chord notation

Laurie Griffiths wrote:

> Mike Whitaker said
> >   sus             sustained
>
> What does this mean?  Muse doesn't allow it because I've never heard of
> "sustained" as the name of any chord.

It's suspended (fours), actually, notated as `sus' or `sus4'. Quite
frequently used guitar chord too. The trick is to replace the third by
the fourth, e.g. D = D F# A becomes Dsus4 = D G A

E.g.
                   EADGBE -> guitar tuning
Dsus(4) = D G A = x00233      (E,,A,,D,G,B,E in abc-notation ;-))
Asus(4) = A D E = x02230
etc.

For info on the chord notation, see
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/chords/notate.htm

There's also a suspended second chord, in which the third is replaced
with the second, e.g. Dsus2 = D E A (= 000230 on the guitar), Asus2 = A
B E = 002200.

(source: Dansm's guitar chord theory
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/chords/susp.htm)

bert