Hello,

there is no reason to reject ::| and :::| notation as far as I see.

Additive complementary constructs (intriguing to me) could be:

:<"text">|

and

:<numeral>|

the <"text"> construct would allow to specify freely any text that gives
information on the number of repeats.

examples:

:"repeat this bit as often as you feel like"|
:"3 times"|
:"(3x)"|
:"add one repeatation every time through"|

by chance existing programs may accept this '"text"' like any other text
in quotes, and only those who have such a feature implemented will
recognize a '"text"' within the repeat sign as being a special text for
describing the number of repeatations.

In extention to this clever playback programms eventually could filter
through the :'"text"'| and search for numerals and even numbers in words
and use these for playback.

in the :<numeral>| construct the <numeral> gives the number of repeats,
which easily could be interpreted by playback *and* display programs, to
do whatever they are programmed to in such a case.

examples:

:2| % equals :|
:3| % play section three times
:5| % play section five times

As a final extention-extention :<numeral><"text">| could be allowed
where the numeral defines the number of repeats for playback and the
'"text"' is displayed. This may be usefull if the '"text"' does *not*
contain computer-readable information, and the transcriber wants to
suggest that the section should be repeated by the playback program
three or maybe nine times exemplarily.

One nice things with these constructions, which could be used paralell
to the ':::|' construct , is that they do allow a very user/transcriber
orientated approach with very little limitations, as the number of
repeats can be choosen free, and alternatively a text which can be
identified by programs as repeat-related can be added to extend the
possibilities further out. I think such a solution would end discussions
on this topic for a long time.

Simon Wascher

--
Simon Wascher - Vienna, Austria