Hello,

John Chambers wrote:
> (...)
[First and second repeats]
> After several online discussions, I (and probably a few others)  have
> implemented  the  rather  trivial extension of allowing any string of
> digits, commas, hyphens and periods to label an ending.   This  means
> that  endings  like [1,3 and [1-3 work with a very few abc tools.  If
> you use them in your tunes, my  Tune  Finder  will  handle  them  and
> return correct PS or GIF notation.

I agree that [1,3 and [1-3 should be standard. It is easy to separate
this ending stuff from other abc text.

I would like to add:

[1+3

and

[1&3

and

a way of saying for example

[last time

(this can be found in arrangements for traditional tunes)

I want to give it a try:
the standard for combining chords and guitarchords correctly is:

["Order of symbols" from the 1.6 standard]

`Open and close chord symbols, [], should enclose entire  note
sequences  (except  for
guitar  chords),  i.e.  "C"[CEGc]'

since the annotation syntax derivates from the guitarchord syntax I
presume that this is also the legal order for annotations.

What I want to create is a text field that is not an ordinary annotation
but a text that *replaces* (or adds to) the number in the endings
bracket.

The standard for ending brackets is:

["First and second repeats" from the 1.6 standard]

`First and second repeats can be generated with the symbols [1 and
[2, .... When adjacent to bar lines, these can be shortened to |1 and
:|2 ...'

My Idea is to use the annotation syntax and the first and second ending
(i.e. `repeats') syntax and combine them to textual ending syntax.

On first sight it is clear that `|"last time"' would be accepted by all
programmes but just as ordinary annotation. So such an extention cannot
work with this shortcut.
But with the standards  *normal* version using the squarebracket (begin)
as indicator for the special case `first or second ending', no serious
troubles arise:

`["last time"' is non-ambiguous since [" is not legal under any other
circumstances.
(the meaning can be backed by the fact that the squarebracket as ending
indicator is allways preceded by a  | character (legally followed by no
other characters than backslashes, spaces, linebreakes, tabs), meaning
never preceded by a letter.

So my proposal is:

$ the numbers in the brackets of a first or second ending
% (may we call these  `multiple endings'?)
$ can be replaced by a text in quotes. In this case it
$ does not work to use the shortcut |"text"  since this
$ would be interpreted as a guitarchord

Again I do not see any troubles to allow the extention-extention:

`|(spaces, backslashes, linebreakes, tabs)[<numeral><"text">'

where <numeral> also could be any of the extentions proposed earlier.

Example:
abcdefg |1+3 a2bcdefg :|\
        [2+4 b2cdefga ||\
        ["last ending" c8 |]