>> A somewhat trickier problem is that there's currently a  fair  amount
>> of  abc  tunes  that  don't even use the initial repeat on second and
>> later sections.  Some users seems to think that :| is a fine  way  to
>> start  a  repeated  section.
> This is also what many printed sources do, e.g. Kerr's Merry Melodies
> (as popular as all other Scottish tunebooks put together and then some)
> and the Northumbrian Pipers' Tunebooks (later numbers of which were
> typeset with abc2mtex, but I haven't seen those).

and I could have added that O'Neill's 1001 did the same thing (probably
influenced by Kerr, the layout is generally similar).  Which implies
that pretty much everybody who's seen book versions of the material that
forms the bulk of the ABC corpus will be used to repeats written the way
I do it.

I also checked the oldest piece of music paper I've got, a manuscript
from 1816 that contains Scottish music and Mozart piano pieces, and
the people who compiled that did it the same way, systematically all
through.  So Kerr didn't invent this.

(To be more precise: the convention is that you use a double-sided or
left repeat if it occurs in the middle of a line, but never at either
end).

I've had a look through my collections and the only ones I can find that
ever use a begin-repeat sign at the start of a whole tune are Highland
pipe music books.