> A more seious problem  is  the
> common  practice of omitting initial bar lines even when it's not the
> start of a repeat.  This is another case where we can't fight it, but
> we could put subtle (or unsubtle) social pressure to change.

What do you mean exactly by "inital bar line"? The bar line before the
first bar, or the first bar line of any line of abc? In "standard"
notation, initial bar lines are as uncommon as ugly.

This is from the official abc homepage, and it hasn't got any initial
barlines, as far as I can see:

T:Paddy O'Rafferty
C:Trad.
M:6/8
K:D
dff cee|def gfe|dff cee|dfe dBA|dff cee|def gfe|faf gfe|1 dfe dBA:|2
dfe dcB||
~A3 B3|gfe fdB|AFA B2c|dfe dcB|~A3 ~B3|efe efg|faf gfe|1 dfe dcB:|2 dfe
dBA||
fAA eAA|def gfe|fAA eAA|dfe dBA|fAA eAA|def gfe|faf gfe|dfe dBA:|

dff cee|def gfe|dff cee|dfe dBA|dff cee|def gfe|faf gfe|1 dfe dBA:|2
dfe dcB||
~A3 B3|gfe fdB|AFA B2c|dfe dcB|~A3 ~B3|efe efg|faf gfe|1 dfe dcB:|2 dfe
dBA||
fAA eAA|def gfe|fAA eAA|dfe dBA|fAA eAA|def gfe|faf gfe|dfe dBA:|

Erik Ronström