| > Wouldn't it be useful if browsers would display PS and PDF?  As far
| > as I can tell, the reason they don't is that PS and PDF are patented
| > formats owned by Adobe.
|
| The one I normally use does display PDF; Netscape 4.08 for the Mac
| with the PDFViewer plug-in.

Does the browser actually display the PDF?   Or  does  it  pop  up  a
separate  window  for the PDF?  The difference isn't inconsequential.
One way that I use GIF/PNG files is to incorporate samples  of  music
into a document. This doesn't work with PS or PDF. Instead of showing
the music at the point in the  document,  you  get  the  music  in  a
separate  window,  with  no  clue  relating  it to what should be the
adjacent text that is now in a separate window.

| I thought all browsers did that?  I don't recall ever encountering
| a problem viewing a PDF on either a Mac or a PC since they first
| started appearing on sites I look at.

Most of the questions I've gotten about PS and PDF are  from  Windows
users  who  can't  figure out how to get their browser to do anything
sane with them. Macs and most unix/linux systems now come with PS and
PDF  readers,  and  their  browsers are pre-configured to fire up the
appropriate helpers.  MS systems still don't seem to come set  up  to
handle PS, though some do know how to handle PDF now.