Christophe writes:
| Antialiasing is a feature you can turn off both in GhostView and in
| Acrobat Reader.
|
| Please learn to use the tools you discuss before writing long and
| useless comments.

Um, I think I'd strongly disagree with that.  To  paraphrase,  "First
learn  to  use  the  abc  tools,  and  then  we'll asnwer your stupid
questions about them."

This is both facetious  and  insulting.   The  abcusers  list  exists
primarily  to  help  users.   These  are  mostly musicians who aren't
computer experts, but who are attempting to use abc notation. Telling
people  to  go  away  until  they've first found the answers to their
questions is arguing against the main value of this list.

Questions about viewers are especially relevant, both abc viewers and
viewers for formats like PS and PDF. Most abc users want it converted
to conventional staff notation.  So questions of the  form  "Why  the
hell does it come up so unreadable on my screen?" are quite relevant.
If you can't read what's on the  screen,  that  seriously  interferes
with your use of the software and the abc files.

Antialiasing is an especially awful subject.   Most  musicians  won't
have  any clue what this means.  Even if they've seen the word in one
of the menus in the app they're using, they won't suspect that it has
anything  to  do  with  why  the  music  looks so awful.  If they are
familiar with the term from audio context, they still probably  won't
suspect  that  it's  related to their problem.  The audio meaning has
very little to do with the usage in video.  The  disappearance  of  a
staff  line  because of "antialiasing" isn't due to a wrong frequency
appearing in the  output;  it's  a  case  of  something  disappearing
entirely.   It's  not really an aliasing problem at all.  But this is
what the PS/PDF viewers call it, so it's the word you've gotta use to
explain how to fix it.

OTOH, we could encourage people to correct the  subject  line.   This
branch  of  the  topic  has  veered  away from "Embro".  Keeping that
subject means that people who killfiled the topic have missed  a  new
topic that they might have found interesting. And people who killfile
the message because they know all about "antialiasing" will also miss
the "Embro" followups.

So rather than discouraging people from discussing a highly  relevant
topic  about  usability of abc tools, we should be harping on keeping
the subject line meaningful.  Then the people who don't want to waste
time on a subject can use their reader's "kill" facility.