Irwin Oppenheim wrote:
| On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, John Chambers wrote:
|
| > This really just means that '+' would be added to the
| > list of ornament symbols, and the default display
| > form is merely a '+' above the note.
|
| Something like:
| U: X = "^+" ?

No, more like:

    ... | fe +d2 | c4 |]

where the d has a '+' drawn above the note head.  Of course, for  the
benefit  of  people  who  want to make the music a bit more specific,
they could add

U: + = trill

to the headers, and then they'd get the "Tr" ligature above the  note
head.   That  would  satisfy Romantic-era musicians, who mostly don't
know this notation.  But Baroque musicians would of course  sneer  at
that,  and prefer the plain '+' that doesn't presume to tell them how
to ornament the note.

(Then they'd complain about ABC's lack of all those  overly-intricate
ornaments that some Baroque composers liked to use.  ;-)

I just thought that we could get '+' added to the  list  of  official
ornament  symbols  before it gets gobbled up for some other use.  And
then, if you don't see the point in that notation, you can  use  a  U
line  to use it for something else.  There are lots of potential uses
of '+' in musical notation.  Maybe you'd like it for  a  quarter-tone
sharp sign. (I've seen people use '+' this way. It makes sense, since
visually '+' is half of a '#'.   But  this  visual  metaphor  doesn't
extend to quarter-tone flats.)